Monday, December 12, 2016

First Christmas Without My Girl



First Christmas without my girl.


Christmas has always been a tough time for me, this year is defiantly worse.  My daughter died by suicide in March this year, just days before her 18th birthday.  So, how do I get through this Christmas?

I haven’t taken the tree out of the box, this is not usual for me as I typically don’t put it up until a few days before Christmas.  Even the thought of putting it up this year is heart wrenching.  How do we celebrate without her?


When someone says “Merry Christmas” to me I smile and wish them the same.  Inside I am screaming at them, “NO IT’S NOT MERRY!”

What is Christmas?  

It is a time of year we all celebrate Christ’s birth and share this joyous time with our family.  So how do I do this this year?  How do I do this without my daughter?

Everyday has been more and more difficult without my daughter.  Just surviving days has been such a battle.  All the world is happy and celebrating such a joyous time. I’m struggling to just get through the day.  I can see the beauty and the joy of the season, I just don’t want to.  I can feel the love and support from the people around us, I just want to hide and curl into a corner. 

The sleigh bells ring – I just cry

The lights are shining brightly – the tears roll down my face

The stockings are hung with care – I struggle to put my smile on

The tree is up in everyone’s homes – I can’t take mine out of the box

Presents are being wrapped with care –  Mine will be in Target bags

Families are traveling far and wide to be together for Christmas – my family will never be all together again


The snow is falling – this was her favorite time of year

No comments:

Post a Comment